Fairfax Pets On Wheels brings together loving companion pets and Fairfax County residents of nursing homes and assisted-living facilities. FPOW is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) organization sponsored by the Fairfax Area Agency on Aging. Since 1987, we’ve provided pet visitation through a network of more than 300 volunteers. FPOW has touched the lives of thousands of residents in Fairfax County. Currently, we provide visitation to residents in 14 facilities, and have many more on a waiting list. Our dedicated volunteers donated over 8,000 hours of pet visitation last year.
1. Welcome new volunteers and nurture their desire to serve the community.
2. Manage the resources of the organization for maximum accountability, efficacy and financial sustainability.
3. Cherish the human animal bond, recognizing our pets as equal partners during the visits.
4. Appreciate and respect the diverse interests and talents of all our volunteers.
5. Value our relationship with staff of the facilities where we serve.
6. Hold dear the lives and comfort the residents we serve, while advocating for good care and conditions.
7. Develop a volunteer base that reflects the diverse population we serve.
8. Strive toward complete and open communication throughout the organization.
9. Respond to the needs of Fairfax area residents and the community.
The Mission of Fairfax Pets On Wheels, Inc. is to provide companionship and an improved quality of life to Fairfax area residents of nursing homes and assisted living facilities through regular pet visitation by trained volunteers and their approved pets.
From the work and integrity of our volunteers and the services they provide, people will determine our reputation and ability to make an impact in the community. The obligation of volunteers to those we represent and serve will best be achieved through a Code of Ethics and Standards of Conduct.
Any person in the volunteer service of the Fairfax Pets On Wheels, Inc. (FPOW) shall:
“All content of this web site, www.fpow.org, is provided "as is" and without warranties or representations of any kind either expressed or implied. Although FPOW wishes the content of this web site to be accurate, complete, and current, FPOW does not warrant or represent that any content of this web site is Error-free, complete, or current, that use of such content will be uninterrupted, that defects will be corrected, or that this web site and content, and the servers on which the web site and content are available are free of viruses or other harmful components.”